Last night a group of girls, most of whom I did not know, met at my apartment for our first book club meeting. I’ve never been a part of a book club before so I had no idea what to expect. I’ve been a part of small group bible studies before, so it had to be somewhat similar to that, right? Either way, I was excited!
My roommate Lauren and I were pumped to be hosting the first meeting. Since our book this month, “Gift from the Sea” by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, was set at a beach, we decided to go all out with beach-y snacks. After Pinterest-ing some ideas (I’ve told you before, we’re not that creative on our own), we decided to do “sand dollar” cookies, “sandy beach” cupcakes, seaweed dip (spinach dip), crab legs (carrots), sea salt chips, ocean water (Hawaiin punch + Sprite), and other fresh fruit and veggies (as seen below). It. Was. Awesome.
We couldn’t get over how CUTE the cupcakes turned out. With little Lifesaver gummies and umbrellas….YES PLEASE.
Not to mention it was all quite delicious. Hurray for store-bought foods on a time crunch!
Anywho, besides the fun of hosting the meeting, I was pleasantly surprised by how great the conversations were!
For me, I didn’t know very many of the girls there. A lot of them were friends of friends. While that can be intimidating at times, I really quite enjoy the challenge because it gives me the opportunity to meet new people, which I’m always game for! And the whole time, I kept thinking how great of a bunch this group was. The opinions were diverse and the discussions were lively – all the things you’d want in a book club, or just meeting with friends in general.
I’ll be honest, I’m that person who didn’t finish reading the book beforehand. I KNOW, it’s shameful. But LIFE IS BUSY so that’s my excuse. Even so, our discussion gave me a few new takeaways from the book that I would have never thought of on my own. And after the conversations we had, I want to keep reading it!
Guys. If you’re not part of a book club, here’s a few reasons why you should consider joining one or starting your own:
- Themed-everything! Apparently some book clubs will go all our for their book’s theme. I’ve heard about women doing everything from dressing up in flapper attire after reading “The Great Gatsby”, to playing a country western-themed trivia game.
- There’s group outings. Some groups go on road trips together, others go out to eat together, either way, they do stuff together which I think it’s just awesome. Big seller for me.
- You meet new people. I’ve already stated this, but it’s one thing I’m most exited about for book club. I love getting to know new people, hearing diverse opinions, and getting fresh perspectives on things I never would have thought about before. The potential of new friendships always excites me!
- Good, tasty food. ‘Nuff said.
- Super chill. Being part of this book club doesn’t require too much commitment, which is especially nice in my busy world of volunteer activities, long work days, and church stuff (which seems to be almost every night of the week). All it requires is that your read the book and show up every 1.5 months. That I can do. (But if you DON’T read the book, you won’t be crucified for it. Yay!)
Have you joined (or thought about joining) a book club? Let me know in the comments below!
Peace out, guys!